Things are getting pretty busy this summer.  Trying my best to balance work, taking care of Luca, and getting things done before my trip to New York.  I finished rebuilding the ten chimneys atop 810 Water St.  Getting the metal flu liner in the chimney that leads to the boiler was very difficult since the flu got smaller in the middle.  It took six hours but I figured it out.  I will go back soon to acid wash the chimneys and repoint the sandstone caps.


On Monday I was back at a wonderful Uptown house where I have done quite a bit of work.   Last time, I finished a fence, gate and trellis around their ADU yard.  They have a majestic Redwood in the yard that had been pruned recently.  I was able to fashion a couple of those cut offs into gate handles.  Fun.


Now I am building a bike shed, something that is right up my alley.  I have the platform and framing established, tomorrow I will start the plywood and the roof.  I like the change of location from downtown rooftop to Uptown front yard.

Seagulls and Bricks

My latest project has me on top of an 1893 brick building downtown.  There is a parapet wall topped with ten brick chimneys and sandstone caps.  The seagulls love it up here and have made nests and messes for many, many years.  The mortar is too rotten to repoint and the bricks are too dirty so I am tearing them down to the flashing, cleaning the brick and relaying the chimneys.  For some reason, not all of the chimneys have the same number of courses or corbel details so I am laying them all as a unified group.

The weather has been very Belgian this week, windy and wet so making progress has been difficult.  I have rebuilt three of the ten chimneys and was able to do two today so if the weather improves I should be done in a week.  Ironically, the only chimney that needs a metal liner down to the boiler was blocked by four bricks that had fallen off the top.  They were lodged ten feet below the roof line.  I went into the bedroom, took out a brick and removed the blockage.  Those bricks were caked in seagull guano and creosote.  Gross.  I mortared in a brick to fill the hole and now I can drop the liner down.

It is interesting working with seagulls.  They had eggs up there on Monday, but just shells remained Tuesday.  Another egg appeared Wednesday right near my stuff, not in a nest.  Today it was broken up.  I don’t know if my presence is disturbing their nesting but I am pretty sure those eggs did not hatch but were destroyed.  The seagulls waste no time in soiling a brand new chimney.  And they were really loud while I was on the phone today.  A little courtesy guys!